Thursday, January 12, 2012

Transitions in life.

As you may or may not be aware, I am a nursing student. Since tomorrow morning is my first official day doing "transitions" at the VA Hospital, today has been a day of reflecting on what transitions in life mean, what emotions they elicit, and how to handle such things.

Transitions for nursing is quite an exciting yet scary thing.  It means that you are almost complete with your education, and soon you will be in the "real world" doing "real" nursing.  This course is suppose to help you "Transition" into that role as a professional nurse.

But why are such changes so hard to accept?  I don't know about you, but I like adventure, fun, and spontaneity.  In some cases, like this, transitioning into a new unexpected role doesn't seem as 'fun' as I hoped it would be.  I remember being a little sophmore nursing student just wishing away my time to be a senior going through transitions, and now I can hardly believe that in less than twelve hours I will be stepping onto the Tele/MedSurg unit as a Transitions student.  Though this is exciting, knowing that I am very close to completing my BSN is making me tachy.

It is scary - the unknown.  But why?  I guess because we like to prepare, we like control.  However, our Lord doesn't always allow for this to be the case in our lives.  He asks us to Trust.  To let go of our grip and say, "JESUS I TRUST IN YOU"  So, that is what tonight is, that is what tomorrow is going to be - a leap of faith, a dive into Trust, knowing that HE is the only thing that CAN and WILL make this transition experience grand.

These are the experiences that mold our hearts.  The opportunities we seize to grow in virtue and in our relationship with Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment