Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Wedding of Cana: A reflection

John 2:1-12.  My heart's reflection of the Wedding of Cana story.  Though this is a story I feel I often hear, today it sang a different tune and brought forth a semi-poetic thought.  So here it is:

My heart cries out, for it is lost,
It does not know the way.
Seeking Truth, seeking peace,
Where can it turn for refuge?
"Do whatever he tells you"
A gentle, motherly voice says,
"Do whatever he tells you"
Yet my ears seem deaf to the call.
Open my ears to Thy good voice,
The sweet whisper of Your Sacred Heart.
Reveal to me Thy glory;
Change my water into wine.
Make this heart Thine.

In the story of the Wedding of Cana there is a small detail that I for years have overlooked.  It is about the amount of water each jug can hold - its says "holding twenty to thirty gallons".  That is a lot of water/wine!  And it says they "filled them to the brim" (John 2:7)  This is exactly what our Lord wants to do with our souls! When we allow ourselves to "Do whatever he tells you" as Mary advises, he fills us to the brim.  However, the daunting idea of our loads becoming heavy due to being twenty to thirty gallons; heavy like The Cross, we sometimes allow fear to settle in and distance us from that "yes" to "whatever he tells us". But, when we do give ourselves over to be filled, we can enter more deeply into a relationship with Christ, joining into the Mystery of His Suffering. These are the moments that His glory is revealed, and it continues as we continue to say "yes" to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment